DESIGN UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Please bear with me as I attempt to do the almost impossible and make the artistic layout of my blog better.

Keep in mind I am an economist. While I can draw lots of nice graphs and do some messy math, marketing (which is the essential nature of a blog) is a foreign language to me.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Reluctantly CX

I love to ride a bike. Until recently, no adjective before the word bike was needed....for my love of cycling was confined to the road. I have spent many kilometers with my three loves, Maria Fig (my Orbea), Victoria (my Cervelo) and Cupcake (my Specialized, the team bike).

If the road goes uphill, I am overjoyed. Downhills are the unfortunate side-effect that comes with loving to climb. I avoid pebbles, grass, etc. while riding. Bunny hopping is something small rabbits do through a field, mud puddles are avoided, and my races occur during a time of the year when snow or sleet is the exception rather than the desired forecast.

A couple of my teammates and several friends race CX and have encouraged me to try it. The combination of peer pressure and an excuse to buy another bike were too much, and before I knew it, I added another Cannondale to my family. A couple of friends registered for a clinic with Jeremy Powers and Chris Mayhew. After watching a couple of youtube videos of CX races (what??? I have to get off my bike and run??), I realized that some instruction may be beneficial.

On a beautiful Saturday, using a teammate's bike, about 70 people played in a field with their bikes - from learning to dismount, remount, carry the bike over barriers, shoulder the bike, ride off-camber - six hours on the bike left me with some strange bruises and the desire to try racing. The first CX race was two weeks away. I had visions of practicing all those skills and then making my CX debut at Charm City in Baltimore.

What is said about the best-made plans??

A little crash on my road bike left me with a badly broken rib, broken hand, cracked helmet (thanks Specialized, for the great head protection) and some great pain medication. CX would have to wait.

Finally, after a few weeks off the bike and painful computrainer session, I could ride outside, and my postponed debut would be at DCCX.

No comments:

Post a Comment